Monday, January 21, 2008

Brandy Alexander

Here's two straight-to-pen, drawing from memory sketches of the X-Statix! Dead Girl came out okay, but Guy Smith looks like some queer Hanna-Barbara character.

I'm doing these to brush up on a quick, clean style for the Marvel Sketchcards I'm going to be doing soon. I'm thinking I might actually pencil the real ones and in some cases, use tonal marker. I can't post the actual art until they're approved and the NDA nullified, but that doesn't mean I can't post the prelim sketches.

In due time me chumleys.

-V-

2 comments:

Daniel Andrews said...

That picture you did at Drink and Draw, you birthday pic! That could totally be on a t-shirt. The whole shirt thing was pretty cool though, I was to flattered to charge her anything, I just wanted to see it done.
Cool STI (straight to ink) pics by the way. Very Cory Walker, not needing to have another line to indicate the other brest. I clutter my shit to much sometimes. Its like I know its there so I feel the need to indicate it.
Pretty cool read on Drawing vs Sketching. check it out. http://donflaws.blogspot.com/

Vince K. Smith said...

Thanks man! I do plan to make some shirts for the big Calgary Expo if I can find a fair price for printing. Maybe something for my new comic book series.

As far as this STI stuff goes, it's something I do every so often to remind myself of the importance of certain lines. I'm not crazy on over rendering but artists like Paul Pope and Eric Canete make me want to put more in, and then artists like Cory Walker and Stuart Immonen bring me back to minimalism.

Ah, well.

-V-