Tuesday, May 13, 2008

I've Got Another Puzzle For You



Well, I've finally started drawing again after a long deserved break. I recently lent my cherished copy of Claire Wendling's Iguana Bay 2.0 to a friend who's been fiercely linking me to get me more traffic. Much appreciated, chum. (I didn't realize 'chum' is almost 'much' backwards.)

For those who don't know who Claire Wendling is, get on that shit and buy her stuff immediately. Iguana Bay 2.0 is a unique published sketchbook in the sense that it's old and new. It's got all the material from the '96 release of Iguana Bay 1.0 in it, along with brand new redo's of every sketch from 96 done 8 years later. It's amazing to see how much she's progressed, refined, and grown since then.

So, as always, I steal/try it for myself. I dug out my first sketchbook. Admittedly, my first sketchbook wasn't started until I was 20, blame it on my former habit of drawing on scrap paper. I remember getting this sketchbook as a gift for painting the windows of my animation school for the Stampede. I forget the administrative assistant's name, I wanna say Melissa, but she was cool. In fact, she was hot. Long strawberry-blond locks that would put Goldilocks to shame, and buddy holly glasses. But I digress. I finished that lil sketchbook in about a year, much of the material done was very loose, unfinished and experimenting in mediums I was trying for the first time. Materials like blue pencils and illustration markers.

After flipping though the relic, I found two pieces I chose to redo. You can definitely see the increase in anatomy knowledge, line confidence and mastery of the materials. I still wouldn't consider myself pro, but after doing this, I can see myself getting closer.

I have a few things to do in near future, like a script for the second issue of the Nobodies, some fanart and some more experimental pics. More to come. Drink and Draw tomorrow.

Oh, and I've got another blogger buddy. My good friend, Richard Barkman. Fellow comic booker and Luchadore enthusiast. Check him out and shower him with praise or just soap and water. Either way, he wins.

That's all for now.

-V-

1 comment:

Richard "Virge" Barkman said...

Hey Vince,

Thanks for the plug my friend! The luchadore gods will smile down upon you for this blessing. Ha ha! Now get on that 2nd issue of Nobodies! Cheers!